Avant Magazine Volume 3 Anthology Of French Workwear
In this third issue, An Anthology of French Workwear, Avant digs into the history of France with particular focus on the workers, the farmers and the peasants during the 19th and the 20th centuries.
Avant converse with Tom Gruat, the king of French workwear, but also with Denis Bruna, curator in chief of the Musée des Arts décoratifs in Paris, and Frederic Marc Marion, vintage dealer and collector of French workwear. They also talk with six experts of French Workwear in Japan, so they can explain to us how it’s booming right now in Japan.
Avant also visits Euro Costumes, a costume rental company in Pantin, near Paris, and they talk to its owner, Pascale Bourtequoi, who explains how she built a colossal stock of antique clothes.
Avant also teaches you how to recognize buttons on a French hunting jacket and explains what moleskin really is.
STORIES & TALES
- Miners and ‘bleus de travail’ : Discover the great history of miners from the North of France and their outfit of choice.
- The Firefighter’s Ball : 19th century indigo linen firefighter jackets attract French workwear lovers from all around.
- Le Mont Saint-Michel, Breton history : Read the story of this legendary brand, who has dressed Breton peasants for decades (and it's not done yet!)
- Japan under the « French » spell : In Japan, French workwear has experienced a real boom in the past years. Six store owners tell us about this societal phenomenon.
- Visiting Euro-Costumes : Walk down the aisles of the largest costume rental company in France.
- Tom Gruat : When it comes to French workwear, he is the leading reference. His interview is a must-read.
- Douglas Gunn : Founders of the Vintage Showroom, Douglas Gunn and Roy Luckett have published two books in which they highlight French workwear pieces.
- Denis Bruna : Chief curator at the Musée des Arts décoratifs in Paris, he has studied the evolution of working class clothing dating back to the Middle Ages.
- Frédéric Marc Marion : Founder of the Bazar des Poilus, he goes back in time to retrace his career.
ART & ILLUSTRATIONS
- La Moisson : Unique cover painting by Geg Newbokld made exclusively for Avant Magazine.
- Douce France : A series of French antique pictures from the archives of Tom Gruat, Romainville’s town hall, and the Museum of Bretagne.
- Private Collection : Rare French pieces from the personal collection of Tom Gruat.
Moleskin jacket - Animal buttons on French hunting jackets - What is indigo linen - La France Travail, an beautiful collection of old books…
Please do not solely rely on the listed size for your correct fit. Designers often use different measurements for sizes depending on the overall look they desire, so sizes can not only vary brand to brand but also within the same brand.
For more detailed size info please see the SIZE HELP page.
Also, for further size help please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
FREE UK SHIPPING OVER £50
We are pleased to offer our UK customers FREE Tracked shipping on all orders over £50. If you require faster than this via a guaranteed next day delivery or Saturday delivery, these options will also be available at checkout.
If you are spending under £50 then the cost is £5 to ship to the UK.
OUTSIDE THE UK
We will use Royal Mail, Parcel Force or DPD dependent on the size/ weight of the parcel. This is based on the actual parcel weight that we have calculated and will be shown at the point of ordering. All orders are sent Tracked & Signed and are fully insured.For full details please see our Shipping page.
We offer a no hassle policy and all returns will be accepted up to 30 days after you receive your purchase. We’ll either give you an exchange if this is what you would prefer (pending stock availability) or we will refund your original purchase price. Sorry, but we don’t refund the charge made for the initial delivery to you (unless a mistake has been made by us), and the return postage cost is your responsibility to send the parcel back to us.
For full details please see our Returns page.